Remembering a remarkable woman

Remembering a remarkable woman
Grandma Sarah at 16 with her cousin May

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Her first garden tiller

Yes, the caption reads "My first garden tiller. My early 30s. June 1941." This photo is adorable. I love the fact that she is modeling the tiller in a dress, apron, sensible shoes and the look of pride on her face. I bet she used that until it just wore out.

Her garden was her work of art. I remember her walking me through her various gardens, plucking something here or there and asking me to smell it. Amazing aromas from the herbs and flowers. The most beautiful tomatoes -- no resemblance to what we can buy today in the grocery store, or even the farmers markets.

My cousin, Sandy Hartzler (Grandma's sister Mattie's daughter), shares this memory:
"I do remember walking thru Sarah's garden too and she always carried a little paring knife in her apron pocket and would pull a fresh kohlrabi and slice it for us.  I sort of think she also had a salt shaker...or we went into the kitchen to get one and sprinkle it on that yummy vegetable and chomp it down!  Occasionally I'll buy one at the store but somehow it never tastes as good as the ones Sarah shared with us.  Love,  Sandy"


Sandy also shared a funny but somewhat risque story about Pop's dog, Coke...you'll have to ask her about that one!

I found this scrap in the portfolio she gave me:

This is a song I love.


I will serve Thee
(click link to play song)

I will serve You because I love you
You have given life to me.
I was nothing until you found me
You have given life to me.

Heartaches, broken people, ruined lives.
Are why You died on Calvary.
Your touch is what I long for
You have given life to me.

-- composer unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog